SC Chronology & Awards
August 29, 2007
• May 1991 – Lexus expands its product line to three models with the addition of the SC 400 sport coupe. Designed at Calty Design in Newport Beach, Calif., the stunning coupe shares the tradition of Lexus luxury and adds a healthy dose of sport.
• June 1991 – The SC 400 goes on sale.
• August 1991 – The SC 300 sport coupe, which features a 3.0-liter inline-six engine, joins the Lexus family.
• September 1997 – The classic SC 400/300 sport coupes receive improved performance for the 1998 model year with the addition of Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) in both six and eight-cylinder engines and a 5-speed automatic transmission in the SC 400.
• October 1999 – Lexus unveils the Lexus Sport Coupe concept vehicle at the Tokyo International Motor Show.
• April 2000 – Lexus announces plans for the SC 430 convertible at the New York Auto Show.
• January 2001 – Lexus unveils the second-generation SC, the SC 430, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
• March 2001 – The all-new SC 430 hard-top convertible goes on sale with a bank of sold orders through the end of the year.
• October 2001– A special edition SC 430 "Silver Belle" is offered through the 2001 Neiman Marcus Christmas Book. All 99 vehicles are sold within 14 hours. One vehicle is auctioned via the Internet with the proceeds going to the American Red Cross in honor of the September 11 terrorist attack victims.
• October 2001 – The SC 430 CART/FedEx Championship Series Pace Car debuts at the Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix in Houston.
• June 2003 – "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" opens in movie theaters and the SC 430 hardtop convertible is driven by the villainous "Terminatrix," played by Kristanna Loken.
• August 2003 – To commemorate Lexus' partnership with the Pebble Beach Resorts, a SC 430 Pebble Beach Special Edition of the retractable hard-top convertible is introduced with a limited run of 400 units. The special edition features exclusive Azure Metallic paint, Azure painted aluminum wheels, Ecru leather interior with black walnut wood trim, special badging and blue illuminated door sill scuff plates.
• August 2004 – The second SC 430 Pebble Beach Special Edition goes on sale, featuring Black Diamond exterior with red leather interior.
• August 2005 – The SC 430 for 2006 goes on sale with minor changes; third Pebble Beach Special Edition goes on sale.
• August 2006 – The fourth SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition goes on sale featuring Tiger-eye Mica exterior and camel interior.
• September 2006 – SC 430 features new driver's and front passenger's knee airbags; Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle II (ULEV II) certification.
• August 2007 – The fifth SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition debuts at the Concours d'Elegance Lexus Fashion Preview – goes on sale the end of August.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• November 1991 – The SC 400 makes the honor rolls of Car and Driver, Automobile, Popular Science and Playboy magazines.
• February 1992 – The SC 400 is named "Import Car of the Year" by Motor Trend and by the Motoring Press Association.
• December 1992 – SC 300 is named to the Car and Driver "10 Best" list and Automobile's "All-Star" list.
• December 1992 – SC 400 named one of Motor Trend's "Best Buys."
• March 1993 – American Automobile Association (AAA) names the SC 300 as the best 1993 model in its price range.
• December 1993 – SC 300 is named to the Car and Driver "10 Best" list and Automobile's "All-Star" list for the second year in a row.
• May 1994 – The SC coupes finish third (behind the LS and GS) in J.D. Power and Associates' Initial Quality Study (IQS).
• January 1995 – Car and Driver names SC 300 one of 1995's "10 Best" cars.
• February 1995 – SC 300 is designated one of Automobile magazine's "All-Stars."
• June 1996 – Lexus again tops the J.D. Power and Associates IQS. The SC 400/300 Coupes scored a noteworthy 45 problems per 100 cars, the best single vehicle model in the study.
• May 2002 – SC 430 ranks second, after the Lexus LS 430, in the premium luxury car category of the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.
• November 2002 – SC 300/400 takes third place in the Premium Luxury Car segment of J.D. Power and Associates' Vehicle Dependability Study.
• February 2003 – The SC 430 wins the Automotive Market Environmental Superiority (AMES) Award in the Sport Car category. The AMES awards were created to help encourage customers to purchase AMES awarded vehicles to assist in the reduction of fuel consumption and emission of greenhouse gases.
• May 2003 – SC 430 ranks second, after the LS 430, in the Premium Luxury Cars category of the J.D. Power and Associates 2003 Initial Quality Study.
• June 2004 – SC 430 had the fewest problems of any vehicle in the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Initial Quality Study, followed by the LS 430.
• June 2004 – SC 430 ranks first in the Luxury Sport Car category of the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Initial Quality Study.
• February 2005 – The SC 430 receives the "Best Overall Value" in its class by Intellichoice.
• May 2005 – The SC 430 ranks first in the Premium Luxury Car category of the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study for the second year in a row.
• June 2006 – Lexus SC 430 earns J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality (IQS) award in the Premium sporty Car segment for third year in a row.
• August 2006 – The SC 430 earned Most Dependable Premium Sporty Car in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study.
• IntelliChoice/AutoPacific's Motorist's Choice Award, Luxury Convertible
• August 2007 – The SC 430 tops the Premium Sporty segment in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS).